After a universal screening assessment, how can K–6 educators translate the results into evidence-based instruction, targeted interventions, and improved reading outcomes? The timely new edition of this bestselling book has clear and practical answers. Fully updated with the latest reading research and models, this teacher-friendly planning guide matches the items of today’s most popular reading assessments with Tiers 1, 2, and 3 interventions, strategies, and activities that help struggling readers succeed.
Aligned with the science of reading and extensively field tested, this guidebook is built around the National Reading Panel’s big five ideas: phoneme awareness, phonics, fluency, reading comprehension, and vocabulary. Teachers will get a concise introduction to each component, assessment options for each, specific strategies for connecting assessment findings to lesson planning, and dozens of practice activities to incorporate into small-group and whole-group instruction. Packed with strategies, scenarios, and planning worksheets, this book helps classroom teachers and reading specialists take action after assessments, make data-driven decisions, and plan differentiated instruction that makes a real difference for struggling readers.
- New focus on today’s most widely used assessments: DIBELS 8th Edition, Acadience Reading K-6, easyCBM, and aimswebPlus
- Convenient charts with clear summaries of the assessments
- 90+ new and updated activities specially designed for use with struggling readers during whole-class or small-group instruction
- Practical guidance on implementing instruction and intervention within MTSS
- Explicit connections to the science of reading, Structured Literacy, Scarborough’s Reading Rope, and Ehri’s phases of word reading development
- New online materials: a quick-reference Assessment Guide, a handy online resources list, and 20+ pages of downloadable worksheets, planning guides, and templates for classroom use
Publication date: September 27, 2023